Transitional and Housing Support Programs
The Transitional and Housing Support Program and VAW/Housing Liaison Program provide services to women aged 16 years or older who identify themselves as having been sexually, physically or emotionally abused by their partners or significant others (could be a caregiver or another immediate family/household member). This program is offered to women who have made the decision to leave their abusive relationship. The goal of the programs is to provide flexible and practical supports to assist women to transition into their new communities. Services are delivered in person or over the phone.
- Development of transition plans
- Development of safety strategies or plans for women and their children
- Short-term, goal-focused counselling for women
- Support in applying for income support
- Support in applying for social housing
- Support in accessing emergency shelter
Referrals and advocacy in the following areas
- Long-term counselling
- Legal process, including legal aid, court attendance and custody
- Immigration process including applications
- Cultural interpretation
- Health and wellness services
The VAW/Housing Liaison program is a unique, city-wide program funded to explore partnerships with community agencies with a focus on services needed by VAW clients.
Current partnerships include:
- City of Ottawa
- Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa
- Victim/Witness Assistance Program
WOCRC is a partner of Unsafe at Home Ottawa. Unsafe at Home Ottawa is a text and chat line for survivors of domestic abuse in Ottawa and in Lanark County. This encrypted and confidential line is available every single day, from 8:30 AM to midnight. Click here to speak to a trained support worker now.