Do you have a great idea for a project but need some help bringing it to life? Are you looking to get in touch with other youth leading change in your city? Are you looking for money to start a community project? Our youth community developer might be able to help!
The WOCRC has a Youth Community Developer who engages and empowers youth, and advocates for their needs. The youth community developer also works with schools, community members, groups and organizations to identify needs or issues involving youth and to help provide services in Goulbourn, Kanata and West Carleton.
To break it down, these are some of the projects the youth community developer works on:
- Attends service fairs to provide information about the resources available to youth in the community;
- Gives presentations to youth or parents on many subjects, such as bullying, mental health, and internet safety;
- Helps start up community youth programs, such as the Richmond Youth Centre and the Queerios;
- Works with schools to support youth (e.g., helps to run suicide prevention, bullying prevention and mental wellness programs);
- Coordinates coalitions and networks that support youth needs;
- Helps to create special youth events, like the first ever Kanata Pride.